Computers and the Environment: Understanding and Managing their impacts
What are the environmental impacts associated with personal computers (PCs)? How should we manufacture, buy, use and dispose of them so as to reduce these impacts? Governments and firms are increasingly responding to mitigate some of the problems. In the E.U., Japan, and Taiwan, mountains of waste computers are being dealt with via legislation mandating recycling. Measures are also being taken to reduce the content of lead, mercury and other toxic substances put into computers in the first place. Are these responses enough? Do we understand enough about the impacts to take appropriate social response?
These questions are taken up in a new edited volume in the Eco-Efficiency in Industry and Science series from Kluwer Academic Publishers: Computers and the Environment, edited by Ruediger Kuehr and Eric Williams. Collecting perspectives from manufacturers, recyclers, environmental scientists and policy analysts, the volume presents a set of analyses on issues important for understanding and planning response to the environmental challenges posed by computers.
Some highlights of the volume include:
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Preface by Eric Williams and Ruediger Kuehr
1. Computers and the Environment: An Introduction To Understanding and Managing their Impacts
2. Information Technology Products and the Environment
3. Environmental Impacts in the Production of Personal Computers
4. How the European Union’s WEEE Directive Will Change the Market for Electronic EquipmentTwo Scenarios
5. IBM’s Environmental Management of Product Aspects
6. Environmental Management at Fujitsu Siemens Computers
7. Energy Consumption and Personal Computers
8. PCs and ConsumersA Look at Green Demand, Use, and Disposal
9. Strategizing the End-of-life Handling of Personal Computers: Resell, Upgrade, Recycle
10. Today’s Markets for Used PCsAnd Ways to Enhance Them
11. Recycling Personal Computers
12. Operations of a Computer Equipment Resource Recovery Facility Joseph Sarkis
13. Managing PCs through Policy: Review and Ways to Extend Lifespan
Reaction from the media:
The popular media around the world has extensively covered the book, including television (CNBC, BBC), radio (e.g. Voice of America, NPR, BBC, CBC, AAAS), newspapers (e.g. The Guardian, Times of London, Boston Herald, Seattle Times), magazines (e.g. InfoWorld, der Spiegel) and and various websites.
Ruediger Kuehr & Eric Williams (editors.): Computers and the Environment:
Understanding and Managing Their Impacts, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Eco-Efficiency in Industry and Science Series, Dordrecht/NL, October 2003, 300 pages,
Paperbound: ISBN 1-4020-1680-8, EUR 32.00 / USD 35.00 / GBP 22.00
Hardbound: ISBN 1-4020-1679-4, EUR 75.00 / USD 83.00 / GBP 52.00
Order from publisher website or your bookseller of choice.